2746 Kaimuki Avenue -- Honolulu, Hawaii 96816 -- phone 808-732-1656

The History of Sekiya's


In 1935 Taisuke and Katsuko Sekiya first started their restaurant “School Delicatessen” on School Street. They began by selling various okazu (Japanese delicatessen foods), shave ice, and ice cream. Sekiya’s sold plate lunches during the World War II at 10 cents a portion, with 50 cents one could get a big lunch. By 1944, close to the end of the war, they were serving saimin and BBQ sticks.

This is an old photo of the original delicatessen that started it all.


In 1947 Sekiya’s moved to the end of Kapahulu Avenue. It began serving meals such as Pork Tofu, Sukiyaki, and Fried Ahi. BBQ sticks were cooked on a charcoal hibachi grill. They started with five tables then quickly expanded to nine tables. Today the freeway passes over the old location.


Then in 1955 it moved to 2746 Kaimuki Avenue where it is presently located. We are still owned and operated by the same family.

(The photo at right was taken around 1960.)


Today Sekiya's still thrives as one of the few remaining old time local restaurants.

Next time you come for a visit please check out our koi pond.

Home -- Dining Menu -- Okazu Menu -- Location -- About Sekiya's

© 2007 Sekiya's Restaurant & Delicatessen